We know – as a mom to a toddler or school-aged child you barely have time to shower, let alone schedule a yoga class for your wee one.
The must-have’s for any child-related activity in your hectic family life are adaptability for wee attention spans, self-explanatory for the brain cells that weren’t killed off by sleep deprivation and portable for are-we-there-yet road trips. (Extra bonus points if it helps your wee one relax and get ready for sleep!)
‘The Sea and Me’ Yoga Story Set comes complete with 6 laminated cards, each with a picture and fun rhyming story chapter on one side and a step-by-step yoga routine (suitable for all levels) on the other. Think of them as mindfulness-building choose your own yoga adventures for kids, ages 2-12.
The Sea and Me is the brainchild of Yogaga, a Canadian company that specializes in products that incorporate storytelling, yoga, and play to help teach children how to calm their bodies and minds.
We tested ‘The Sea and Me’ and its underwater world on a tuji’s six year old son. Here’s what we loved:
- You can just use one card for a brief yoga sequence of 4 poses or use the whole set for the full story/yoga sequence
- You can just read the story by itself
- You can use it before bed or at any time of day to relax
- The colourful pictures of parasailing crabs, smoothie-swilling snakes, pirates, and the purple octopus
- The fun ‘nature tidbits’ on each card that provide trivia about sea creatures and get your wee ones asking questions every night like, “How do blowfish talk?”
In fact, one of the cards has become a new bedtime ritual for one of our tuji moms. It’s called ‘Dreaming with the Starfish’ and it asks you to imagine you are a starfish sleeping under the sand. Then with each exhalation, you sink deeper into the sand.
Think about all your favourite sea creatures, the things you love in your life: your family, your friends, your pets. Relax. Feel your belly breathing in and out. In and out. Breathe.
Oh, did we forget to mention this works on worn-out moms, too?
Sleep well all you wellness warrior moms! Get your hands on your own set here.