Tweaked from www.thekitchn.com
This was the first of what I expect to be many occasions of making tomato jam.
This tomato-y topping serves as the perfect stand-in for the classic maple syrup. (And we really hope you were using real maple syrup and not the high-fructose, “butter flavour” variety before.)
Savoury French toast presents a happy medium breakfast for couples containing a member who loves their French toast and one who’s not so into sweets. Besides, it’s a great excuse to try out a new sauce – and we’re really into sauces.
A healthy meal is just a few minutes away if you’ve got a good sauce on hand.
- Coconut oil (enough for the pan)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut milk (or whatever you normally use)
- ½ cup coconut cream (or the regular stuff)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ½ tsp dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp hot sauce (we used Sriracha)
- A few turns of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- Good quality bread (we used sourdough from Matchstick Coffee Roasters)
- Fresh basil (or chives, or both) chopped for garnish
- Six medium tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic glaze (or ½ cup balsamic vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp crushed red chile flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (additional) Tbsp honey (to taste, if desired)