With May-Long upon us, we’re declaring it the start to summer! That means it’s time to get your adventure ducks in a row so you’re ready to go when the opportunity for summer fun arises.
1. Gear Check. Time to dig out the camping gear and give it a dust off. Open up the tent, shake it out and repair rips (heck, why not pitch it in the backyard and have a sleep out like you did when you were a kid), blow up the Thermarest to check for leaks, air out the sleeping bags and give your camp kitchen a thorough scrubbing. Now, don’t re-stash it at the back of the shed – leave it out so it’s ready to roll!
2. Snack up. Be good-to-go by pre-making a variety of snacks. Dehydrate your favourite fruits and veggies, make up some homemade energy bars and stir up a batch of the best trail mix ever. Portion them out, pop them in the pantry or freezer and you’ll be R-E-A-D-Y ready!
3. Wake Up Spontaneity. Being adventure-ready means setting your mindset to ‘yes!’ Rekindle your spontaneous side with some warm ups like throwing half a dozen adventure ideas in a hat, flipping a coin the next time you can’t decide on a lunch location or rolling the dice (this app makes it handy) to determine your next random weekend getaway!
4. Stock the Freezer. Sometimes the adventure comes to you. Be ready for an instant patio party with a freezer in waiting. Pour herbal tea or juice into ice cube trays for instant blender drinks, pre-make veggie patties and treats and freeze up some sliced fruit so you can quickly garnish your Organic Sangria. Your guests will marvel at your Martha-like preparedness.
5. Backyard Olympics. Unearth your summer toys and have them at the ready! Tell your friends the backyard (or corner park) Olympics are on. Anytime they’re over is event time. Keep track and tally up the Frisbee golf, wilderness bocci, badminton, washer toss and PIG scores at the end of the summer, but trust us – it’ll be gold for everyone.
Bring on the sunshine.