When traveling, you dream of looking as chic and effortless as Carrie Bradshaw, though loathe the thought of lugging around all those shoes.
Rather than getting weighed down with excess baggage, embrace your inner packing pro and join the stylish jet setters. Traveling carry-on only is an incredibly freeing experience that means less stress, fewer hours at the airport and no checked baggage fees.
Whether visiting New York for the weekend or Morocco for a month, here are six packing tips to lighten your load.
1. Plan it Out. When preparing for a trip, create an outfit grid with the weather and activities planned. By having a clear view of what you’re planning, you can map outfits to each of the days you’re away.
2. Check Hotel Amenities in Advance. Avoid bringing excess hair appliances and other unneeded items – do your pre-research before leaving. Hotels typically provide hairdryers, shampoo, and body wash. Many hotels even rent gym wear.
3. Versatility is Essential. Aim to wear each piece of clothing or shoes at least twice. Shoes eat up loads of space – so max out at two pairs. Choose versatile pieces that can be worn day or night. Pack accessories such as jewelry and scarves as they add style to looks without taking up too much space.
4. Collect Minis. We love our lotions and makeup, which often tests the carry-on liquid limit. Be on the lookout for miniature versions of products. Visit beauty stores and ask for samples or sign up for their loyalty program and indulge in that GWP (gift with purchase).
5. Get your Cube on. Packing cubes are marvelous! These flexible, zippered pouches maximize your in-bag organization. Bonus, if you are asked to open your carry-on at security, it eliminates the risk of a stray bra (or two) flying out of your bag! Try Eagle Creek packing cubes.
6. Edit & Edit Again. Finished packing? Think again. Take a critical look through your suitcase. Do you absolutely need everything? Are you wearing items at least twice? Challenge your choices and take only what’s needed.
Wishing you light and fabulous travels!