Butter has long been a villain in the world. High in fat, it got a bad rap until the research uncovered that it wasn’t fat in general that was causing health problems, but the type of fat that was the issue.
Nowadays, holistic health practitioners advocate eating certain fats for health promotion and, lucky for you butter-lovers, grass-fed butter is one of them!
Not only is grass-fed butter high in vitamins A, K, D, and E, but when butter comes from grass-fed cows, it contains higher levels of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a fatty acid that helps protect the body against cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure and has even been shown to lower body fat.
We also like the rounded, full flavour, and well-balanced mouth-feel we get when it’s stirred into this hot, steamy, bourbon-y, cozy drink.
If you’re up for making your own cider, all the better because you’ll amp up the nutritional gains. But if you’re just looking for an ultra-delicious drink, adding some grass-fed butter into a store-bought cider is A-OK (Vitamin A-OK), too 😉
Hot-Buttered Bourbon Apple Cider
- 1.5 cups apple cider (preferably homemade, but store-bought is also okay)
- If using store-bought add in 5 cloves, a 3-inch stick of cinnamon, juice of half a mandarin
- 1.5 oz (your favourite) bourbon
- 1 Tbsp good quality grass-fed butter
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 slices of apple to garnish, optional
1. If using store-bought cider, add in the cloves, cinnamon stick, and mandarin juice. Simmer over medium-low heat until the flavours combine. If using homemade cider, heat it over medium-low heat until warmed.
2. Meanwhile, mix the butter with the coconut sugar until thoroughly combined.
3. When the flavours of the cider have come together (after about 5-10 minutes) or when the cider has warmed sufficiently (as in the case with the homemade cider), strain it through a fine mesh sieve and pour the cider back into the pot. Add in the bourbon and return to a simmer. Whisk in the butter. Continue until the butter’s melted.
4. Serve immediately with a slice of apple, if using.
And you’re done! Enjoy.