'Technophile' and 'green' may seem like characteristics at odds with one another but there are plenty of ways your smart phone can help heal the planet. Here are 5 of our favourite green apps.
1. H2Oh No – Water water, everywhere but not for long. As Canadians we tend to take our water for granted but it's not just our plentiful lakes that are impacted by our food and beverage decisions. The Virtual Water App will help you get a better sense of your global impact on the earth's water supply with every bite you take. ($1.99, iOS)
2. Eco Challenge – Up for the challenge of becoming an Eco-Superhero? If becoming more environmentally-friendly has you overwhelmed, the Eco-Challenge App will ease the way into being a sustainability superstar. The app shares sobering facts on eco-topics and then answers your question, 'what can I do about it?' with a challenge for you to complete. You can even try to out-green your friends – not that saving the planet is a competition! (Free, iOS)
3. Junk the Junk – Is that handmade No Junk Mail sign on your mailbox ignored? So annoying. Before you blow a gasket, go to the source with the PaperKarma app. Just take a picture of the flyers you don't want and they'll put an end to it all. You'll save trees and lower your blood pressure all with one click of the app. (free, iOS & Android)
4. Idle No More – Whether commuting is part of your daily routine or you just like to hit the road from time to time, the Inrix App will help you get there faster. Compiling vast amounts of traffic data and updated every minute, the app can tell you which highways are free-flowing and which are jammed up. Plan your route and avoid sitting idle in traffic. Save gas, reduce emissions and stay just a little bit more sane. Honk if you love the planet. (free, iOS, Android, Windows 8, Windows Phone & Blackberry! *The upgrade will tell you where to find the cheapest gas)
5. Cha-ching – Feeling like you need to see some reward for your eco-actions in real time? Joulebug to the rescue. This app makes being environmentally-conscious feel like a fun game as it shows you the real life dollars you're saving with every eco-move! Whether you're saving the planet for the loons or your loonies, this app will keep you motivated. (free, iOS & Android)
Whether you're a planet-loving hippy or a Frugal Frog, you have to admit that some of these eco-apps are a pretty cool way to save the world. Go-go gadget green!