You may think inspirational people are just born that way or they were birthed out of some heroic or brave act. That may be partly true, but there are ways to become inspirational even if you’ve never saved a baby from a burning building or inherited DNA woven from enthusiasm and enlightenment.
Here are 5 start-from-where-you-are ways to inspire others:
1. Share Your Past (warts and all). Not only does honesty and humbleness endear you to folks, it also shows that you haven’t lost touch with the reality that made you who you are. That gives them hope.
2. Listen, Really Listen. You can’t inspire people if you don’t connect with them and that’s a two way street. Open up your ears and your heart and people will feel the compassion and love. And then, your words will mean so much more.
3. Give a Shit. You have to care about the people you are trying to inspire or your message won’t resonate. Call it compassion, call it earnest concern, call it being invested – whatever you want to call it, just give a shit.
4. Follow the Golden Rule. Raise three fingers and say it with us – ‘do unto others as you would have them do unto you.’ Give compassion if you’d like to receive it, be honest if you want to avoid liars and leave gossip to the covers of the tabloids – refuse to engage in it. Simple and golden.
5. Be Zen. Some of the most inspirational people in the world are the ones who can think on their feet and be calm, cool and collected in the face of stress or heightened emotions. Find your zen and be that super chill human.
No time like the present to begin to leave your legacy.