Inspired by eatingwell.com
These days summer seems to be synonymous with fresh fish tacos on the patio. If you’d rather enjoy yours sans the Cactus Club crew, here’s our version of the tasty taco that you can make for your at-home fiesta.
Double or triple this recipe easily. We thought about 3 small tortillas per person would do the trick for dinner.
Tip: If you want to get loco, try adding a bit of queso to the tortilla before you heat it! Melty cheese on a taco? Si, por favor!
1. Prepare (and if necessary, de-bone your fish), then chop into nugget-size chunks. Beat the egg and pour into a shallow bowl.
2. Combine flour, corn grits, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. Coat each piece of fish first with some egg and then with the flour/spice mixture so that each piece has an even coating.
4. Heat coconut oil in a medium pan. Once heated, add fish and cook until lightly browned on both sides (make sure not to overcook the fish – watch it closely – it’s done when it’s easily flaked with a fork).
5. When the fish is done, ensure your tortillas are heated, then spread a dollop of avocado onto each, followed by a sprinkling of green onion, layer of cabbage then the fish, mango and cilantro (in whatever order feels right to you!). Finish with a squeeze of lime and drizzle of hot sauce. (If you want to take things a step further – you might decide to add just a bit of mayo too!)
6. Serve with a small dish of red pepper flakes, hot sauce and lime wedges.