Wake up to another type of almond joy with these flavourful nuts.
Friends of the hormone insulin, almonds help to minimize the after-meal rise in blood sugar, preventing the insulin spike and sugar crash we all hate. Add of few of these bad boys to your lunch or munch on a handful at snack-time and you’ll be a little more even-steven in the afternoon. Oh, and the sweet-sour-spicy flavour combination is a total win for the taste buds.
Oh joy oh joy!
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place almonds in a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl whisk together the honey, egg white, and lime zest until combined. Toss with the almonds to coat.
4. Sprinkle the chile flakes and kosher salt over the almonds and toss again to coat.
5. Spread the almond mixture on the baking sheet. Bake until golden, approximately 8-10 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn.
6. Remove them from the oven and sprinkle with the juice of half a lime and gently stir to incorporate the flavour. Let cool completely.
7. Taste and, if necessary, add more salt or chile flakes depending on your preference.