Tweaked from Alive Magazine
This is all about the sauce.
If there’s another dessert you’ve got on the go that needs a topping (it would go wonderfully with chocolate cake and ice cream by the way!) – use the port sauce. Otherwise, try this yogurt parfait treat.
Now, if you haven’t purchased your yogurt yet – keep the following yogurt shopping tips in mind to help reduce your decision paralysis in the dairy aisle (choosing a healthy yogurt can be a baffling experience for most of us!).
· Always avoid ‘nonfat’ yogurts (that goes for any food).
· Read the ingredient label, the fewer ingredients, the better.
· The top ingredients should be milk and “live bacterial cultures” (like Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus). Bonus points if these are the only ingredients.
· Avoid added sweeteners and “fruits” and strange hard-to-pronounce ingredients.
· Organic is always best.
1 cup port wine
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (or reduction if that’s what’cha got)
1 tsp orange zest
1 Tbsp honey
½ tsp cinnamon
2 cups greek yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
Shelled, unsalted pistachios
1. Combine the port, balsamic vinegar and orange zest together in a small saucepan. Simmer, with the lid off for 15 minutes or so until the mixture ‘boils’ down to only about ¼ cup liquid. Then stir in honey and cinnamon, remove from heat and let cool.
2. Stir the vanilla into the yogurt, stir to combine and then start layering. Yogurt first, then pomegranate and top with pistachios and the port sauce mixture.