You won’t find any bacon bits, sour cream, cheese, or chives on THIS baked potato.
We swapped regular potatoes for sweet spuds and loaded up the mound of steaming starch with health-boosting, colourful toppings. Between the bright green sautéed kale, red pomegranate arils, yellow/orange turmeric spice – you’ve got your spectrum of antioxidants pretty close to covered.
Next time you’re craving this comfort food, you won’t leave your plate feeling like Mr. (or Mrs.) Potato Head.
Superfood Baked Potato Ingredients
- 4 medium-large sweet potatoes
- Olive or coconut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Kale or other greens
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- ¾ cup yogurt
- Popped quinoa (we used pre-popped but you can pop it yourself too!)
- Flax seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Run the potatoes under water, scrubbing them thoroughly (get the skin nice n’ clean because it’s the best part later!). Stab the potatoes with a fork in a few areas then rub on some olive or coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Put the potatoes in a foil-lined baking pan and roast for 50 to 60 minutes or until the potato can be easily pierced through the middle with a fork. If you remember, flip them over halfway through baking – but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t.
3. While your potatoes are baking, prep your toppings starting with the yogurt. Stir the turmeric into the boiling water, then stir in the maple syrup and the nutritional yeast. Whisk into the yogurt, making sure the turmeric is completely stirred in.
4. Next sauté your kale (or other green) with a little garlic, salt, and pepper. Get your other toppings ready to go and wait for your spuds.
5. Once the potatoes are nicely cooked through and crispy on the outside, split them down the middle and top with the turmeric yogurt, kale, popped quinoa, flax seeds, and pomegranate arils. Serve warm and enjoy!
Superfood Baked Potato tweaked from www.thekitchn.com