Let’s talk about watermelon, shall we?
Like tomatoes, watermelon is mighty high in lycopene–a phytonutrient that helps mitigate inflammatory processes, optimizes cardiovascular health, and, as a notable antioxidant, neutralizes free radicals wherever it goes. Paired with capsaicin, the anti-inflammatory compound found in jalapeños (found in all chilli peppers, actually), this margarita kicks inflammation’s you know what!
Be sure to choose a ripe watermelon, as the lycopene content of watermelons increases the riper the watermelon gets!
Watermelon Jalapeño Margarita
- 5 oz watermelon juice (see below)
- 1 oz tequila
- ½ Cointreau
- ½ oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ oz jalapeño simple syrup (see below)
- Watermelon slices for garnishing, optional
Jalapeño Simple Syrup
- 1 Jalapeño, roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup organic sugar or agave
- 2.5 cups cubed, fresh watermelon flesh
- Pinch pink Himalayan salt (or sea salt)