Time to create those New Year’s resolutions goals. If you need some inspiration beyond the ubiquitous ‘eat well’ and ‘exercise,’ here are 5 suggestions to get you in the mood to kick off your 2013 goal setting.
1. Meditate. This may well be one of those perennial list additions. If your efforts have fizzled in the past, make it stick this year with a less intimidating approach of just a few unstructured minutes a day. Check out our Everyday Mindfulness column.
2. Bust a Rut. Who says change for change sake is a bad thing? Go ahead, quit doing something you’ve always done and try something new. Need ideas? Check out our Rut Buster column or this 3-minute TED Talk: Try Something New for 30 Days.
3. Lower Expectations. Yep, that’s right. We know expectations are pretty much the heart and soul of New Year’s goals but here’s the deal – when you lower expectations of the people around you, they tend to surprise and amaze you. And, you’ll be much happier. Warning: this could be the hardest one on your list!
4. Foster Kindness. Forget random acts of kindness. This year, why not resolve to do at least one kind thing every day – planned or not. You’ll be astonished at how contagious it becomes.
5. Take Time for Tea. Cross off those goals about quitting – this one is all about adding goodness to your life. Herbal teas, green teas and black teas all have phenomenal health benefits and they have a sneaky way of shifting your habits without you even noticing what you gave up.
Why set goals over resolutions? Find out here.
Happy rockin’ 2013 tuja community!