Forget those old wives tales suggesting you stay horizontal for the next nine months. Modern mamas know that the benefits of pre-natal workouts for both mom and baby are huge (too soon?)!
Let’s face it, there’s nothing cuter than a pregnant woman powerwalking or doing bicep curls in the gym. Get ready to boost your energy and feel great with these 5 reasons for why working out for two is doubly satisfying:
1. Support for the Extra Load. Did you know that women gain an average of 25-35lbs during pregnancy? That's equivalent to a 2½-year-old toddler! Exercise helps prepare you to carry around your growing belly, and the developing babe. There's no moving the belly-centered weight; so working out those hip, thigh, and bum muscles really help support the pregnancy load.
2. Mind, Body & Soul, Check. Moving your body helps keep not just your body but your, mind, and soul in check. Being active can fend off mood swings, help you sleep more soundly (minus the midnight bathroom breaks), plus you'll be less prone to morning sickness and constipation. Try a mindful, movement-based class, like prenatal Pilates or yoga, and tune into your changing body.
3. Prep for the Big Day. Giving birth isn’t called labour for nothing! Strong muscles and a fit heart will prepare you for the physical demands to come, and may even shorten labour time and make complications less likely. Having control over your breathing can also help manage pain and reduce stress for you and babe. That extra time on the stationary bike does pay off!
4. Post Pregnancy Bod. Staying active during pregnancy will get you bouncing back into shape post-baby faster and with much more ease. Consistency is key to maintaining muscle memory and endurance, this is true for both your big muscles that give you strength on the outside and your deep core inside. Put in the time now, and your muscles won't even remember that you took a break to have a baby.
5. Babies Learn in the Womb. Great habits start now. So, lead by example as you really do have another little person to care for. You'll pave the way for a more healthy and physically active child, and you are more likely to continue to stay fit throughout your life. Don't just strive to keep up with your kids, keep going with them!
With all the ways your body is changing, and new concerns that pop up when you're expecting, exercise might be last on your list. Now is the time to sign-up for some prenatal fitness classes. You'll have the chance to meet other expecting moms, cultivate healthy, life-long habits, and savour every last second with your pre-baby self!