Canada Day isn’t typically known for healthy traditions so this year we thought we’d offer a few ways to celebrate with a wellness twist. (Apply typical Canadian sarcasm here).
1. Be a Canadian Kid Again. Re-earn your ParticipACTION badge by doing the wall sit until your quads burn and then the flexed-arm hang until you literally shake yourself right off the bar. At least your arm will be stuck in beer-raising mode for the rest of the day. Hal and Joanne would be so proud!
2. In a Canoe? Pierre Elliot Trudeau famously said that a Canadian was someone who knew how to make love in a canoe. So, a fit Canadian should be able to have sex in a canoe while navigating class three rapids.
3. Cheers. If there is one thing Canadians are known for, it’s their love for brewed hops. Go healthier with a gluten-free draft from Le Saint-Bock in Montreal or an Organic Ale in BC. There’s always a healthier beer to be raised on Canada Day.
4. Historic Hoops. Call out the gang for a good old Canadian game of basketball – with a twist. They all have to show up as their favourite fictional Canadian character. Before you know it, Winnie the Pooh is blocking Dudley Do Right while Edith Prickley goes for the lay-up. Superman’s been benched for using his x-ray vision on Anne of Green Gables.
5. Rise and Pop. Wake everyone up early at the cottage, tell them to don their Lolë or lululemon for a little lakeside workout set to the tunes of Justin Bieber, Avril Lavigne, Drake and Nickelback. You’ll have earned your day off in more ways than one.
We’re having a bit of fun with you but we do hope you have a fabulous Canada Day enjoying our amazing country. We’ll be celebrating with a hike through the Rockies followed by a cold one (organic, of course). What about you?