Looking to change up your fitness routine with a workout hybrid? Finding the perfect workout is like mastering a recipe – a little of this and a little of that until it's just right.
This kind of experimentation has lead to some super-popular workout hybrids like yogalates, Jazzercise and water running so why stop there?
We put our creative pants on and came up with 5 workout hybrids we wish existed.
1. Swoga. Yoga in a sling (aka anti-gravity yoga) may be all the rage but we say who needs the formality of a class or the comfort of a safe and securely tied looped sash? Chances are there's a park near you with a swing just begging to support you in this not-yet-existing yoga fad of Swoga – yoga done on a swing. Fun, free and lots of scalp exfoliation from the sand that’ll get in your hair.
2. Yoga A Go-Go. We've heard of yoga done to pretty much every kind of music but what about 60's go-go? We're picturing the French version where the music contains dramatic pauses (in which to hold that triangle or dancer pose) then resumes bringing us right back into the flow. Looking ridiculously cool while doing this is essential and that starts with the fashion. We suggest a black and white striped tees, tiny neck scarf and capri-length black yoga pants. Tres chic!
3. Zwimming. In our opinion meditation and swimming go flipper in flipper. Think about it; you're already focusing on your breathing, once you get into the zone, you're movements become rhythmic and you have nothing to look at so you either practice with a fixed gaze and eyes closed. Empty the mind, find your stroke and before you know it you’re zen swimming – or would that be zwimming?
4. Jazzing. Take jazz dancing on a run – that's the idea behind Jazzing. Simply pop on your favourite dance music, start jogging and then, when the music moves you, bust into some forward (or sideways) moving jazz. Be sure to warm up your wrists – 5 km of jazz hands can really take their toll! BTW prepare for lots of friendly 'hello's' as people misinterpret your awesome moves for a greeting.
5. Wild Yoga. Yoga may be an internal journey but that doesn't mean you can't do it in the great outdoors. We first touch on this dream match-up in our video Yoga Anywhere but we say, why stop there! Go deeper into the wilderness and bust out your pranas in the deep woods or dangling from your climbing gear on the cliff's edge. Extreme? Yes, extreme zen. Need more? Take your Wild Yoga to the next level by going in buff!
Okay, maybe these hybrids are a little crazy (and possibly dangerous) but what we love about fitness and fitness trends is that they are ever-evolving and there is always a new way to get your sweat on – you just gotta be creative.
What two (or three) fitness trends would you like to see turned into a workout hybrid? If any of these workout hybrids already exist – send us a photo PLEASE.