As we prepare to say goodbye to a year filled with Crossfit mania, hummus of every variety and a lot of meditating on meditation it's time to look into our wellness crystal ball and see what's ahead.
Here are our top 7 wellness predictions for 2015.
1. App-Sessions. If you worked out and nobody logged it, was it really a workout? This is the year that our fondness for logging our workouts via apps becomes a full-blown obsession. In 2015, it's going to be all about tracking your steps, your meals, your sleep – everything to do with your wellness will be entered into a system and tabulated to confirm that you're fit.
2. Bug-Love. Are you ready to eat some bugs? 2015 will be the year the insects invade. We're seeing fried crickets in your salad, cricket pate on your crostini and even cricket flour in your baking. You may as well shake the ick factor because insect-based proteins have proven themselves and they're here to stay.
3. Wholesome Frozen Food. We want to eat well but we don't always have time to cook from scratch. The future has good news. The big thing in 2015 (and beyond) is going to be healthy meals made from scratch using whole foods that are flash frozen. Local healthy frozen food stores are popping up everywhere, your favourite restaurants are starting to do it and a few companies like Luvo are working to get them in supermarkets. The latter is backed by Christine Day of lululemon fame, so we're pretty confident this prediction won't get iced.
4. Treading Together. Picture a spin class. Now, replace the bikes with treadmills. Bam! You have the new group fitness trend that will run rampant all over gyms in 2015. We'll be collectively pounding the tread while our instructor takes us through hilly sections and sprints all while helping us perfect our runner form. It's like a really fun running group without any complaining about the weather (or slacking off).
5. Baobab. This year's inductee into the hall of superfoods: baobab. It's a tropical fruit that grows on those really funky upside-down trees found in Australia and Madagascar. It has insane levels of anti-oxidants, is high in fibre, packed with vitamins and is even a pre-biotic. Don't go looking for it in the produce section. The distance it has to travel means that us North Americans have to make do with juices and powders.
6. HIIT It! It's not a new way to get your sweat on but watch for a major resurgence in the high-intensity interval training workout. These rigorous sessions are perfect for time-crunch people because in a 30-minute session, they can get a serious and satisfying workout. It dovetails nicely with another big 2015 trend; using nothing but body weight and resistance for your workout – which means you can HIIT it pretty much anywhere.
7. Teff. We love this ancient grain because it gives our gluten-free bread a wholesome taste, and hearty look and feel. It's best known for its use in injera (a traditional Ethiopian flat bread) but you can expect to see it popping up in hot cereal mixes, baked goods, veggie burgers and served like polenta or pilaf. The best part is that it's rich in calcium, protein and fibre. No, wait, the best part is the slightly nutty flavour. Oh, wait, did we mention it's naturally gluten free?
Out with the old and in with the new! We're ready for a year filled with fun new health foods and great new ways to sweat. Which wellness trend are you looking to embrace in 2015?