tuja’s breakfast salad, tweaked from Bon Appétit Magazine.
We tujis love our green smoothies n’ all but our palates haven’t progressed to the point of blended bacon. Bleh. This is how you can get two favourite foods into one breakfast dish.
We know it’s not exactly on the World’s Healthiest Foods list, but if you go all-natural & organic, check for no funny-business in the ingredients list, and sop up the grease… every once in a while we say it’s okay for a slice or two of the good stuff. Or, if you’re really against it – go for turkey bacon. That’ll do too.
We’re also happy to celebrate one of our favourite foodie trends – roasted & dehydrated citrus. Which makes a cameo in this dish!
Breakfast Salad Ingredients
- Bacon, cooked until crispy and nicely browned
- Roasted citrus slices
- Mixed greens & arugula
- A few leaves of radicchio
- Mint leaves
- Green onion, chopped
- Avocado slices
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 heaping Tbsp Honey Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- A squeeze of fresh lemon
- Salt and pepper
1. Prep your citrus slices the night before (or while you’re cookin’ your bacon) by pre-heating the oven to 350F, tossing the slices (we went 1/8 of an inch) in some coconut oil, cracking some salt and pepper on top and sliding into the oven. Roast for about 20 minutes or so, until things get nice and browned and caramel-y.
2. Once your citrus and bacon and other toppings are ready to go, start with a stack of greens on your plate, follow with radicchio, mint, green onion, bacon (which I liked chopped into bite-size chunks), citrus slices and avocado.
3. In a mason jar with a screw-top lid, combine the dressing ingredients and shake it all up. Drizzle some on top of your salad and enjoy!