A foodie at heart, I get inspired by creative recipes floating out there on the interweb or passed on to me by fellow food-obsessed friends.
This week it’s the world-famous Momofuku Milk Bar’s Compost Cookie™. That’s right, there’s a trademark symbol beside the name because that’s how wildly popular they’ve become. There’s everything in there from chocolate chips to potato chips, not to mention pretzels and coffee grounds. Truth be told, I haven’t had one yet but can just imagine how mind-blowing they are.
As always, there’s a price for something so decadent. These cookies undoubtedly go straight to adding inches on the belly and, I’d bet money, result in a monumental sugar crash.
I wanted to see if Milk Bar’s ‘including everything but the kitchen sink’ strategy would fly in smoothie land. Turns out, it soars!
Got a mish-mash of fruits and veggies you’re not sure what to do with? Or bits of greens you don’t wanna put in the compost just yet? Just one Medjool date lingering in the fridge?
Whip up one of these “compost” smoothies and you’ll get a nutrient and fibre-packed snack or meal that’s tastier than you might think (don’t worry, no coffee grounds needed).
The ingredient list below is one that I actually made; suggested substitutions that will still taste great are added.
Compost Smoothie Ingredients
Every organic bit counts! Makes one serving
- ½ cup strawberries (your favourite berries or what you have on hand will do)
- ½ cup mango (peach or apricot could be a substitute)
- 1-inch chunk of cucumber (and/or celery)
- 1-inch chunk of zucchini
- Big handful of spinach (or any mild lettuce – avoid arugula and bitter greens)
- A few basil leaves – or mint, or both!
- 1 to 1½ cups almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 2 or 3 Medjool dates (sub in honey or maple syrup if no dates)
- Hemp hearts (or ground flax or chia)
- A one-inch knob of fresh ginger, grated
- Filtered water to thin out as needed
Blend until smooth and pat yourself on the back for saving all those good greens from the garbage. And know this – I am working on one that tastes more like the cookie!