If you’ve been keeping warm by wood-burning fires, sipping homemade mulled apple cider, and gathering with loved ones, you’ve been doing winter well. It’s no wonder we’re drawn to the Danish art of hygge (pronounced “hyoo-guh”), described by many Danes as an intimate state or feeling of cozy, contentment, and calm.
While winter is gently transitioning, the coziness carries on. Plants coming to life, longer daylight in the evenings, candles giving off a gentle glow. This is the stuff to reawaken your spring spirit.
Another Scandinavian tradition is smørrebrød: open-faced sandwiches on rye bread. Stenalder brød, translated to ‘stone age bread,’ is a cousin to rye bread. Made with a simple combination of nuts, seeds and egg, this dense grain-free loaf is the catalyst to cozy.
We’re keeping the avo toast trend alive and turning to centuries-old Nordic nut bread – for an everlasting comfort toast. Miso adds a tasty umami flavour (savoury and satisfying), for more of the cozy zen.
Stone Age Bread
Inspired by a special Danish family recipe
NB: Ratios of nuts, seeds and oil can be adjusted slightly, based on your preference. To make it vegan, try substituting with flax eggs (note – this will make your loaf extra flaxy).
- 5 organic eggs
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup raw white sesame seeds
- 2/3 cup raw flax seeds
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 320F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk your eggs. Add your nuts, seeds, olive oil and salt.
- Transfer your mix to a loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Once cooled, slice into super thin pieces and layer with your miso avocado topping below.
Loaf can be stored and wrapped in a cool dark place for 5-7 days, or in a sealed airtight container in the fridge. Pre-slice and freeze to avo toast at your leisure!
- 1 Tbsp miso paste (Genmai brown rice miso works well)
- ¼ cup tahini (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 Tbsp purified water
- 1 medium avocado, ripe and pitted
- 1 green onion or scallion, chopped thinly
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1-2 Tbsp dried seaweed flakes (dulse works nicely)
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix your miso paste, tahini, lemon juice, and minced garlic; gradually add water until it thickens.
- Take your pitted avocado halves and slice into thin pieces.
- Toast your stone-age bread slices, then cover them with a base layer of miso spread.
- Top with slivered avocado pieces and sprinkle with chopped green onion, dulse flakes, sesame and pepper.
- Enjoy in your favourite cozy space!!