From Fresh Magazine
Take this Mediterranean-style munchy to your girlfriend’s Oscar party – your lady friends can wolf it down without compromising their sugar-free, wheat-free, dairy-free diets.
One caveat is you may need to tell a little white lie when dishing it out… At least avoid listing the ingredients for any olive-hating friends. They’ll never suspect they’re in there if you don’t tell them!
Quick tip: look for dried figs without added sulfites – a preservative added to most dried fruits to maintain vibrant colours. Many people have adverse reactions to artificially added sulfites, so natural options are becoming more widely available.
Makes 2 cups
1. Place the figs in a pot, cover with cold water and set over high heat. When water comes to a boil, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for about 15 minutes – allowing the figs to plump up in the water.
2. Drain the figs and then place in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until finely chopped; to not puree.
3. Transfer to a serving bowl and cover. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight to allow flavours to meld.
4. Serve with goat cheese, your favorite crackers and veggies for dipping!
5. Place your bets on who wins Best Picture – winner gets to take home the leftovers (if there are any).