The wonderful thing about meditation is that you can do it anywhere (if you don’t believe us, see our Everyday Meditations).
However, the name of the game is finding your comfort. Otherwise, you’ll be spending your meditation time thinking about how cold you are (and that isn’t exactly inner peace).
Here are 5 support tools we love to help us relax into our own meditation practice.
1. Bolster or Meditation Cushions. Both are designed to support proper posture. Once you have the flexibility, it may not be as necessary but physically seeing your bolster or cushion may remind you to slow down and take a breath. tuja editor Kyla Gaertner recommends the brand Manduka.
2. Warm Socks & a Blanket. In most Canadian temperatures, our most chanted mantra is “brrrr.” Change that by preparing a warm space as much as a comfortable space. A space heater may do, but organic Thermohair socks can help to get things beautifully cozy. Or wrap yourself up in a recycled wool yoga blanket and watch your meditation time increase.
3. Meditation Manuals. Learning from the masters doesn’t have to require a yearlong sabbatical. Peruse Amazon to learn more about the lifelong practice of quieting the mind. I loved Mindfulness in Plain English as I was getting started on my meditation journey.
4. Meditation Music. It depends on your practice, but some people like to have crashing waves, crackling fires or classical music to get things going. You may find your perfect meditation music is hard rock. Or if you prefer the mellow route, we highly recommend Todd Norian. Of course, Songza is also an option for a no-fuss playlist.
5. Apps. Since we don’t have private meditation teachers or a Tingsha that rings just in time to let us know that the rest of life is waiting, our Smartphones can be the next best thing. The free Mind app for iPhone will time your meditation, as will the Meditation Helper for Android. Both can also help you to set meditation goals.
At the end of the day, all you need is you to achieve that state of deep relaxation. It is available for anyone and everyone.
Any props, tools or support are just gravy.