April is Earth month, culminating in Earth Day on April 22. Celebrate than this beloved planet of ours with 10 ways to get your green on:
1. Power off at night, completely. Even *gasp* unplug it. This simple act can save $90 of electricity a year!
2. Cold water wash. 90% of the energy used by laundry machines is for heating and most loads dont need hot water (unless you have taken part in a mud race). Youll save money and be giving a big sloppy kiss to the planet.
3. Save them sheets. When its an option, request receipts electronically and reduce the amount you print out at work. Also, pay your bills online and make sure your bank gives you messages electronically. When you do print, try printing double sided.
4. BYO Bag. Even though much of Canada supports this idea, plastic is always available for last minute purchases. Make sure your reusable bag is with you at all times by keeping an extra in the car, at the office and in your purse or briefcase.
5. Sweat outdoors.Theres a lot of energy required to run an exercise machine. Hiking, biking and running in nature will give right back to you in the form of an endorphin rush.
6. Indoor green thumb.Most of us spend a lot of time indoors and indoor air pollution can be greater than outdoor air pollution. Luckily, this is relatively easy to fix. Invest in some plants, circulate the air and make sure it is nice and (eco) clean. Cleaning your home regularly will also reduce indoor allergies.
7. Green your commute.Public transportation, car-pooling or even car sharing may be options for you. Or, consider investing in a hybrid next time!
8. Waste less nom noms.Make sure your grocery trip is in line with what you actually eat, and use those wilting vegetables in your crisper tonight. If you go out to eat, bring your own Tupperware for leftovers to bring home. Even if you wont eat them immediately, you can freeze them for a quick and easy supper down the line.
9. Get some natural air fresheners.Simmer some cinnamon, orange peel and water on the stove. Better yet, do some spring-cleaning to eliminate the source of odours and invest in some mood-boosting fresh flowers.
10. Take some pressure off your water meter.Even a slightly shorter shower or waiting until the dishwasher is full before running it will help. Having meatless days will also make a difference as a significant amount of water goes towards producing meat.
If you run intoKermit, make sure you let him know he was wrong.