When it comes to 'pampering' ourselves, thoughts often turn to days luxuriating at the spa or evenings watching the sunset while a tropical breeze gently tousles our hair. Nice days when you can get them, but few of us can afford to do that all the time.
Here are five budget self-care solutions to keep you pampered year-round.
1. Self Massage. It may not be as good as getting a massage but self-massage still does the trick. Focus on areas that don't require you to be a contortionist to reach (feet, neck, hands). Keep the movements slow and deliberate. Hold pressure points while taking deep breaths. To get relief in hard to reach areas, place a semi-soft ball (a tennis works well) between your sore spot and a hard surface (like the floor or a wall) and roller-massage away. If you can get your hands on an electric massager, well, now we're talking 'ahhh.'
2. Soul Buffet. Taking time to nourish your soul doesn't cost a thing and there are so many flavours to choose from. You could start a daily affirmation or gratitude practice. Borrow books from the library that will reboot your self-love, volunteer as a puppy cuddler or just have tea with a friend. There's no end to the buffet of soul nourishing ideas and most of them are free.
3. Mental Vacation. Can't afford to jump on a plane or take time off? No problem, just take a mental vacation. Just like a holiday, meditation can reduce stress & anxiety and help you to step back from the overwhelming world we live in. Not a meditator? Try starting out with a guided meditation or mini-meditations that take just a few minutes. You'll be on your way to ohm in no time.
4. You Day. When was the last time you took an entire day doing just what you want? Not what needs to be done. Not what you think you should do but really letting your heart lead the day? Time to schedule in a day. If the idea of getting an entire day to yourself put you into a fit of laughter (we hear ya, moms) then try for a half day, or even an hour. Book it in, because believing you deserve it is the first gift.
5. Go Clean. When did eating bon-bons in bed become the epitome of pampering? We say, go the other way. If you want to really pamper yourself, be good to yourself. Clean the sugar and processed foods out of your diet for a day, a week, a lifetime – whatever you can handle. Be good to your body with clean food and you'll feel pampered all the time.
With these money saving ideas, you'll feel pampered year round and be able to save up for that mega spa on the beach vacation. Then again, maybe you won't need it.