Let's face it, exercise may make you feel great after the fact, but it's the type of fitness that you actually enjoy sweating to that stands the test of time.
Some of us love running. Some can't get enough Pilates. But, some of us just can't seem to find a type of exercise that makes us happy enough to keep at it.
Let's head back to a time where exercise was always fun – childhood. As kids, we never stopped moving (and therefore, ate way more ice cream without guilt-winning!). We were always skipping, jumping, climbing, digging and burning calories without even knowing it.
Put down the kettle bells and embrace your inner child for some completely liberating exercise – just for the fun of it.
1. Skipping. Good for indoor or outdoor workouts. Just put on some upbeat music and skip to your lou. Try taking little breaks every few minutes to stretch or do some lunges or squats and then get back to it. Forget the timer, forget everything and just have fun.
2. Hula Hooping. Hula hooping is great for toning your gluteals, abs, arms and thighs. And if you aren't quite sold on the idea of hula hooping solo in your living room, check to see if there's a hula hooping class near you (Flowlab, Sugar Hoops or The Hoop Fairy) for a good butt (w)hooping.
3. Playing With The Dog. Walking the dog is always good exercise, but why not kick it up a notch and really get your hands dirty (and sweaty)? Chase your mutt around the park, get a good game of Frisbee going or jump in the lake for some side-by-side laps. You won't believe how fast this will get your heart pumpin'.
4. Sports Team. As the summer months approach, a host of sports teams await members to sign up. We're not talking about anything competitive, but rather a friendly game of weekly softball, Ultimate Frisbee or whatever else floats your boat.
5. Skyrobics. What could be more fun than jumping around on a trampoline and actually getting fit from it? Answer? Nothing! Indoor trampoline parks have become all the rage these days, with gyms popping up everywhere. Aerobics classes are offered at most facilities for a full body workout, testing your balance and strength. Otherwise, grab a friend and simply book a session to bounce around, laugh and play.
Whatever you do, make sure it's filled with as much laughter as it is sweat and you'll look at fitness like it's your 5th birthday.