Inspired by What to Cook & How to Cook It: Fresh and Easy by Jane Hornby
Superfoods are known as the hero foods that have high nutrient and phytochemical density, while being low in calorie content.
Don’t feel like you need to seek out a particular superfood for a specific ailment. Instead, aim to pack your daily menu with as many whole, naturally colourful foods as possible and you should get all the helpful nutrients and enzymes you need.
This salad is packed full of these “superfoods” as well as a healthy serving of greens and protein, making it a great option for lunch or a light dinner. You'll soon feel like digging up your 'ol wonder woman costume for an instagram photo op.
Serves 4 to 6
1. Chop your broccoli into thirds and cut the snow peas in half.
2. Bring a pot of water to boil and toss in the broccoli, boiling for 1 minute. Add the snow peas to the pot, boiling for 1 more minute.
3. Quickly drain the water and rinse the vegetables in cold water, ensuring they cool down quickly. After draining any excess water, pat the veggies dry with a clean tea towel. (We want the broccoli and snow peas as cool and dry as possible so they are firm and tasty in the salad.)
4. Juice the whole lime and half the lemon, then pour the juice into a large bowl (the rest of the salad ingredients will be added to the bowl later).
5. Finely grate the ginger, chop the garlic and add to the bowl along with the chili flakes, sugar and sesame oil.
6. Next, thinly slice the red onion and stir in with the rest of the ingredients.
7. Add the cooked lentils (if using canned lentils make sure to first drain them well), the veggies and toss to coat the vegetables in your dressing.
8. Roughly chop the almonds and sprinkle on top of the salad along with the sprouts.
Jane Hornby’s What to Cook and How to Cook It: Fresh and Easy is chock full of inspiration and illustrated, step-by-step instructions for the perfect meal for any occasion. If you're a lover of cookbooks containing a picture for every recipe, you'll be delighted with this beautiful hardcover. Get it here!