With over 200% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A and beta-carotene, sweet potatoes are a real-deal superfood.
Vitamin A (or its precursor beta-carotene) is an essential, fat-soluble vitamin known for major health promotion. Most popular for its role in promoting eyesight and night vision, Vitamin A also helps to fight infection and disease, supports the immune system, assists in bone growth and remodeling, and helps to regenerate skin tissue, both inside and out.
So that radiant, glowing skin we're all looking for? It's right here in these sweet potato wedges.
In all seriousness though, if we are what we eat, then the sweet potato really packs a lot of bang for its buck. Cut into wedges, coated in coconut oil (to help absorb all those vitamins), and sprinkled with our take on a Middle-Eastern spice blend known as baharat, these tasty tubers are a much better bet than popping a Flintstone. Would you like wedges with that?
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place the sweet potato wedges in a bowl of cold water and let them sit for 10-15 minutes to draw out some of the starch. Rinse and lay the wedges out on a towel and pat with another towel to dry them thoroughly.
3. While the potatoes are soaking, make the baharat. Mix together the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, paprika, and salt until well-combined. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, toss the dried sweet potato wedges in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Sprinkle on the baharat, continuing to toss the sweet potatoes as you go to ensure they're evenly coated.
5. Take out 2 baking trays and put ½ a tablespoon of coconut oil on each of them just to grease the pan. Spread the wedges out on the pan ensuring there is space in between each piece and that they're not overlapping (this ensures that they roast rather than steam).
6. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes before flipping the wedges and rotating the pan. Bake another 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside and soft in the middle. Sprinkle on some additional kosher salt and serve with a good quality ketchup, if desired.