With the New Year just around the corner, it’s time we look deep into our wellness crystal ball to prepare you for the health trends that are about to rock us.
Without further adieu, our top 5 wellness trends predictions of 2014.
1. Yoga + Core. Hybrid forms of yoga were all the rage last year, so we expect to see the essence of yoga co-opted even more in 2014. The biggest of these will be the hybrids that blend yoga with a killer core workout – because nothing goes better with a yoga butt than a six-pack! Umm, we mean nothing goes better with yoga-groundedness than a solid core foundation. Yeah, that’s what we meant.
2. Greener and Cleaner. We’ve become increasingly savvy about the harsh and harmful chemicals lurking in our food, cleaning products, personal care and beauty routines and storage containers. Up until now, finding alternatives has been expensive and/or challenging. 2014 the tides will turn and we’ll start to see truly clean, green products in the mainstream. Hopefully, the tide will also take out all evil, green-washed items.
3. Sea Beans (aka Sea Asparagus). Move over Kale, your time in the spotlight is over. This year’s ‘it’ veggie is sea beans. Pickled, sautéed or chopped into a salad; this bright green vegetable harnesses the health benefits of the sea – namely iron, calcium and vitamins A & C. Once a specialty garnish, you can expect to see this spiky green starring in main dishes. p.s. we were just kidding, Kale, we’ll always love you.
4. No-Fuss Fitness. Over the last decade, gyms have been getting bigger and offer more services. But, these sophisticated mega-gyms have also become a little intimidating and faceless. 2014 is the year to search out your local little guy. Small, no-frills gyms are one of the fastest growing trends in fitness today. Simple equipment, smaller classes, and a traditional & personal approach to helping you get and stay fit. No map of the facility required.
5. Meditation. Studies continue to pour in proving that meditating regularly has amazing health benefits. Add to that a constantly growing number of celebrities openly talking about their practice and you have a wellness trend on the cusp. We forecast 2014 is the year it takes off. We also predict that you just may add meditation to your daily wellness routine! In fact, it’s not just a prediction, it’s a bit of a mission – we’ll share more about that in the next few days…
As an aside, a few other health trend prognosticators identify ‘tea-tails’ (cocktails made with healthy teas) as a big up & coming trend… we wonder where they got that idea – perhaps our Healthy Happy Hour column?
That’s right, we’re keeping you ahead of the curve.
What does your wellness crystal ball tell you? Share with us on Facebook before anyone else.