The only thing we did differently in this already healthy dish was to add an egg (which, obviously, de-veganized the recipe).
Our egg addition had little to do with any health considerations but rather a craving for a nice, runny egg yolk atop this lentil-oat concoction. That’s probably THE most taboo thing to do with a recipe from a celebrated vegan cookbook, and for that, we are sorry. But not too sorry cause it was DEElicious! (Although it tastes great without the egg too.)
We’ll let you decide egg or no egg, but first – a little note about a protein source we should all be enjoying – lentils.
Lending us a whole whack of protein and fibre, lentils lower cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar, and improve our energy levels—no buts about this legume.
- 1/3 cup large flake rolled oats
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1 – 1 cups veggie broth
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Sea salt
- Avocado slices (or guacamole)
- Tomato slices (and/or salsa)
- Organic, free-range egg
- Green onion
- Herbs (cilantro/ parsley/ basil)
- Stir together oats, lentils, broth, garlic and shallot together in a medium pot. Turn heat up to medium/ high to bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 8 to 12 minutes, until nicely thickened.
- While the oatmeal cooks away, prep your topping ingredients so that you can serve everything nice and warm.
- When the oatmeal is done, add a little sea salt and pepper to taste and then remove from heat, dish up into bowls and top with your prepped toppings!
From the Oh She Glows cookbook by Angela Liddon