Sure, great sex isn’t the main reason you’ve committed to your yoga practice, but as side effects go, it’s not a bad one.
If you’re limber and feeling adventurous, here are the 5 Kama Sutra sex positions yogis do better.
1. Crouching Tiger. This is a woman on top position that will be made better with the mastery of Malasana (squat pose) since it’s essentially the woman in squat pose facing his toes. Yogis who also focus on Utkasasana (chair pose) will find they have the endurance to keep this sex position going – that tiger doesn’t just crouch!
2. Golden Triangle. Touted as a good position for conception, this Kama Sutra favourite has the woman moving from missionary position into Setu Bandha Sarvangasan (bridge pose). If you want to take this sex position to the next level, move into Eka Pada Setu Bandha Sarvangasan (one-legged bridge). Since holding this pose can be tricky, the woman can use her hands (or his) to support the arch in the low back.
3. The Bridge. You didn’t think we were only going to give sex positions for female yogis, did you? This one requires a man who can hold his Urdhva Dhanurasana (full wheel or upward bow pose) while the woman straddles him and essentially takes a ride on his wheel. Giddy up, but keep your feet on the floor!
4. Lustful Leg. All of that time spent getting into Hanuman Asana (monkey pose or full split) is going to pay off in this sex position. Standing face to face, the woman raises her leg and places it on his shoulder – essentially Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana (standing split). Yogis do this one better not only because of the flexibility but also the balance – you’ll find your Vrksana (tree pose) makes holding this position possible.
5. The Triumph Arch. This one takes a bit of explaining. Start with the man sitting, legs straight in front. The woman, facing him, straddles him in Virasana (hero pose). He moves into Paschimottanasana (forward fold) moving her into Supta Virasana (reclining hero pose). Once in this position, you’ll understand the triumphant name.
We’re not sure if this all makes yoga sexier or sex yogier but we know one thing; in the Kama Sutra days, yoga and sex were intertwined.
Before you grab your partner to test these out, just remember what your yoga teacher always says – listen to your body and its limitations (aka don’t hurt yourself).
Oh, and breath into it.
Need a visual to get the idea? Check out this site to view these positions – and many more!