Is there anything more summer than hitting the open road looking for adventure? Don’t let the swellness get in the way of your wellness.
Here are 5 tricks for staying healthy on a road trip.
1. Meditation. While meditation, while driving is a sure recipe for disaster, taking a short meditation break at the next pit stop can help you re-centre and shake off the stress of the drive. And, if all of the passengers can agree to close their eyes and take a few deep breaths, we’re sure the driver would also feel the health benefits. On a multi-day trip? Why not get up a bit earlier and fit in a Metta-meditation before you hit the road. You’ll find your trip feels much more purposeful.
2. Walkies. When you’re planning out your drive, look for short hikes or towns along the way where you can really stretch your legs out. Getting a short walk in (or a few) during a long day of driving will revitalize you and let you actually be in a few of the places that have been whizzing by your window.
3. Remember the Sun. If you were going to the beach for 8 hours, you’d wear protection, right? Being in the car all day also requires some sun protection. Your windows (and roof) will certainly provide some protection but the sun can still damage skin through windows, especially when you open them to do that hand-riding-the-wave-of-hot-air thing. Put it on before you go and re-up when you take your lunch or walk breaks. If you do catch a little sun or if you’re overheating during the day, keep some all-natural after sun spray handy so you can cool off and refresh.
4. Play Pack. Whether it’s a Frisbee, a footbag, a yoga mat or a portable bocce set – load it all in a handy play pack and you’ll be ready for impromptu pit stop playtime. Taking a five-minute play-stop will get your cramped body moving, get some air deep into your lungs and make getting back on the road a little more fun.
5. Hydrate. Yes, we know that drinking water on the road does mean more pit stops, but sitting in a hot car with the sun beaming in can dehydrate you faster than you may think. With a solid hydration plan featuring cool water or coconut water, you’ll stay more alert and have more energy when you get to your destination. Besides, those pit stops are a good excuse for a little stretching and exercise.